New Facebook group to share your makes, competitions and more at https://www.facebook.com/groups/TandoCreativeZone/
New online retail store now open for all your Tando goodies at www.tando-creative.co.uk/catalog

Sunday, 22 September 2013

free for all GDT


Hi all!  This week's topic was 'Free for all'. This made me think of 'free time' and I do love doing a clock!  The first time I 'noticed' Tando was on an Andy Skinner workshop, where we did a box, with cogs and things, then the next time was a clock.  I now have 3 Tando clocks around the house!

I started this time with a 12 x 12 sheet of board from Tando, and I pinched a mechanism out of one of my other clock kits, sat in the cupboard.  I had a bag of Tando cogs, and several cog dies.  I also used the large circular clock face.  I had in mind Andy's rust technique, but more blingy.



I sealed both sides of the board with matte medium, and punched a hole in the centre of the board with my crop-o-dile.  I cut several cogs and glued them down on the board, and some webby stuff from my stash, and used a clock face mask with modelling paste.  I then painted the lot with lamp black, three coats, to give it a good base.  When it was dry, I gave it two washes (allowing it to dry in between coats).

 Then I got my new Stewart Gill paints out!  These are billed as jewel tones, and oh yes!  They are. The colours mix really well, and there are also some amazing iridescent mixers too.



I painted the clock numbers in shades of green and gold; I was thinking verdigris, but heavy on the gold.

The Tando cogs I painted separately, that is, straight in with the jewel paints.  The photographs really don't do it justice - the shimmer is amazing!






Then I came to assemble to the clock - and realised (again - I did exactly the same thing last time!) that the mechanism needs two layers of board, not just one!  So, one of the spare circles I had over in my stash went through the big shot, to create another cog as the centre dial.  It got a similar treatment to the clock face, but with some embossing powder to give it a pitted look.



The hands got alcohol inked, so they would stand out against the face - if I had left them black, I'd have never been able to read the time!

This has definitely been the most involved piece I have done to date.  Plenty of layers of paint, and then making all the bead drops for the weights!  But, I am so pleased with it; I think it will go in my bedroom!

What a fab piece Ruth - don't forget to pop on over to Ruth's blog to see more of her lovely creations.

5 comments:

Hazel said...

Wonderful creations x

roc said...

Just wonderful!

Kaz said...

That's gorgeous Ruth, I love the effect you got for the base xx

Coco said...

Gorgeous work, I love the pendants with the cogs and the beautiful colours of them ! Coco x

Karen Gist said...

WOW! you have a lot of Tando clocks :D

This is just fabulous, so much detail xxx