Monday, 28 October 2013

Same but different week... around Coffins !

Hello everyone, this week we have a full week a bit special for you, a "Same but Different" themed for Halloween, and it all revolves around coffins, using either the fab Layered coffin with cobweb detail or the 3D coffinand also the pair of skeletons products manufactured by Tando Creative.

Layered Coffin with cobweb detail

Pair of 3D Coffins

A pair of Skeletons

I really enjoy starting off this week because I had an absolute blast doing this coffin, putting in it this great fine skeleton after altering and painting all the elements… so much fun !!! Here's my take on these two products that can be combined perfectly as you will judge by yourself each day of the week I think !

I started by selecting all the elements I wanted to use, adding a light coat of white Gesso on each of them. From the skeletons pair that comes with two plain and sturdy coffin shapes, I took only one skeleton; I replaced the other elements in their bag for another project. I had also the idea to use my two remaining biggest bats from the set of 3 bats, as they fit wonderfully to such small 3D project, don't they ?...
Once dry I layered a thickish coat of Dreamwaver crackle paste here and there over the top and back of the coffin, as well as upon the edges and the skeleton. It was the first time I used a Dreamweaver textured paste, and…. wow, I really love this crackle medium, you can see how fab the effects are on my last close-up! For the delicate skeleton I used a pin to carefully remove the excess of paste within the holes.
All the shapes of my coffin (i.e. layered coffin with cobweb) have been painted in grey (PA Stone), orange (PA Pumpkin Soup and a few drops of Haystack), and teal (Studio Charcoal Classic Teal). I also sanded a bit some areas, and left a few others white, for a realistic look of a wooden coffin washed up after years in a graveyard ! I glued all the faces except the lid, and edged my coffin with black ink. At the end I also rubbed a bit of Charcoal black using a small cut’n dry piece along the main edges.
My funky bats were painted in charcoal black, embossed (except in the middle) with a mix of remaining powders from my large spooky A3 page you can see again here if you missed it (including the smallest bat of the three!), and adhered to the base. 

Here's a photo of the left side of my layered coffin, love the three hinges I made in Grungeboard from my Vintage Valise die and altered for an aged look ... It perfectly close the coffin on its left side (but need a full time to adhere using elastics to solidly maintain the whole !!).

Push open the top....and whats inside haha ??.....

My skellie has on his head a small hat cut out from an old cut'n'dry piece (the black side).

Here's the back side of my coffin. I also decorated it using a set of Crafty Individuals and Tim Holtz stamps and Stazon inks (Pumpkin, Dove Grey and Black Soot) to better adhere to the painted support. As you know, I love building small whimsical scenes and this one - a bit creepy but not too much  - made me smile !

You can find even more photos and details on my blog, pop over on it here if you like my coffin... hope so. 

Don't forget to call back again tomorrow for another member of the DT's project...For me, I am really looking forward to discovering some other versions of this great set of products made by my teammates ! Coco xx


Sandra said...

You made a wonderful use of all these chipboards. Perfect for the "Halloween non-lovers". Therefore, your coffin is not morbid at all, and your whole project is funny and very sympathic

roc said...

these coffins are great! love what you created!

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous. Love those bats. Must get me some of those

Carol Plume said...

what a great coffin - love your colour ways xx