Saturday 10 June 2017

Black Modelling Paste by Nikki

Morning everyone,


My turn to share a make with you today, and our theme was to use Black Modelling Paste.

I decided to do one of my favourite Tando pieces, a little heart shelf.  It lends itself to so many ways of decorating, and is very easy to put together, and very sturdy when glued, as it's made from mdf.

I assembled and painted the shelf with tinting base, and then a coat of Vermillion.


As I was on holiday, and had taken limited supplies, I had to improvise to get my top coat colour.  I wanted a crackle effect, but realised I'd forgotten the weathered wood, and chose to use chalk crackle instead.  I coated the orange with the crackle medium and left to dry.

For the top coat, I'd only taken one colour of chalk paint, so decided to mix some fluid acrylic into the colour I had, to make a turquoise.  I picked a bit of everything at this point!  Just be careful not to add more than 10-15% fluid acrylic, otherwise the crackle reaction may be affected. (This is not a problem if you were just mixing a paint colour).


When painting the top coat, do even strokes, and try not to go over a patch you've just done, as it crackles almost immediately, it's brilliant to watch!


The black modelling paste was then used through a stencil.  You can use black modelling paste exactly the same way as white or clear, and can paint over it if you wish.  But sometimes it's nice to use it as a feature, and it also makes certain colours pop when put over it, or acts as a contrast to metallic lustres etc.  It's a firm favourite of mine.


Once stencilled and dry, I added Copper Kettle Metallic Lustre on my finger, to the raised area's of the modelling paste, to highlight the skull and bring the colours together.  I also ran my finger around the edge of the shelf, to tie in.



Thank you for joining me today, don't forget to check out the rest of the week's projects by my lovely colleagues, and let us know what you think.

Best Wishes,

Nikki K. xxx

Products Used:
Tando Creative - Heart Detail Shelf.
DecoArt - Chalk Crackle, 2oz Chalk paint Yesteryear, Fluid Acrylics: Vermillion, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Cobalt Blue Hue, Green Gold. Tinting Base, Black Modelling Paste, Metallic Lustre in Copper Kettle. Decopage Glue.

2 comments:

Scrapintheattic.com said...

Looks great Nikki! X

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

Looks great :) would feel right at home in my craft room ;)