Wednesday 13 November 2019

Texture Paste Cog

Hi there, it’s Celia here with a look at texture pastes. They lend themselves very well to rust effects, and I find they're so useful to add interest to a project.
I decided to use four different pastes together, because why just use one! I used DecoArt Sand Paste on the cogs and stippled some Andy Skinner Lava Paste on the big MDF cog. This needs heat setting to make it puff up. If you stipple it on finely it creates a nice pitted rust effect.
For the base, I used a 6x6 greyboard sheet and stuck on some Tim Holtz Abandoned collage paper. I discovered that the big cog is the same size as the cut outs in Fiona’s new Layered Tags, so I cut one out to put behind the cog. I just sprayed this black.

I used a spatula to apply Andy Skinner's Strata Paste and DecoArt Crackle Paste randomly around the edges of the base board.

When this was dry I stippled on a mixture of DecoArt media fluid acrylics to roughly match the colours of the paper (Burnt Umber, Green Gold, Pthalo green yellow, Transparent Iron Oxide). I also stippled some rusty colours on the big cog. Then I dry brushed the texture pastes with Titan Buff to highlight. I also coated a couple of small cogs from the minis cogs tag with some Ferro.

Then I added a couple of washes to tie it all in together before assembling. I added some silver Gilding Paste to the cog to highlight the rusty texture. The combination of the different texture pastes produces all sorts off yummy crunchy goodness!


And here's the finished piece - 

Thanks for stopping by!

Celia x

No comments: