Wednesday 20 July 2022

Book binder cover A6 - 451F by Kim

Book paper ignites at 451 degrees Fahrenheit - apparently. 

This A6 was designed as a cover for a purchased notebook.

I reached for my ultra sharp X-acto craft knife - I was going to do some serious damage this time! 

I took the A6 front cover, and with the craft knife cut grooves and notches in the surface and top edge. These were the bits that will end up as charred wood. Make sure the design is random and varied - no two pieces should be the same. Once I was happy with the shapes I base coated the front and back covers with DecoArt Lamp Black, inside and out.

To get the wood effect I first dry brushed Burnt Umber, halfway up the front, and all over the back - don't divide into planks yet, cover the whole area.

On top of that I dry brushed Burnt Orange to add texture and vary the surface, with a light dust of Oyster Beige in places, and to highlight the 'charred' bit at the top. I dry brushed some Lamp Black from the top to make sure it was really dark.

To add the 'planks' I painted in the detail with DecoArt Media Paynes Grey, adding splits, nail holes, and the gaps.




I wanted the spine to look like an old leather-bound book, so I found one (we have all sorts of stuff in our house!) and scanned the spine. I measured the binding spine in the kit and reduced the scanned image to fit, then printed it, and stuck it on.

 


The back, front, and spine were joined together with a hessian strip. When finished the cover fits perfectly an A6 notebook, which is how this one will be used.

As a nod to the book that influenced me, Ray Bradbury's 1953 novel, Fahrenheit 451, I added a wooden plaque to the front cover.

Thanks for visiting - where do you find your inspiration?

(Take extra care when using sharp craft knives)

Products:

Tando Creative Book Binding Cover (A6)

DecoArt Americana Colour

DecoArt Media Colour





No comments: