Friday 30 August 2019

Heat embossed tag


Hi there!

It's heat embossing week and I would like to show you how I made this embossed tag. I am slightly addicted to heat embossing - I put it on practically everything I make! I'm a massive Seth Apter fan, and he uses it in many different ways. I've used some of his techniques here.

I took a small Tando tag and undercoated it in DecoArt Timeless Chalk paint, then a wash of Burnt Umber fluid acrylic to give a quick background.

Then I stamped over a script stamp with Red Geranium Archival, and one of Seth's stamps in black. The background will hardly show - it just gives another dimension to the top layers.

I used an embossing pen to draw a few random scribbles on the tag, and sprinkled on some chunky gold & white embossing powder by Cosmic Shimmer. I then set this with the heat tool.

Then I swiped the tag with Versamark and sprinkled a layer of Stampendous clear chunky embossing enamel all over the tag. Before you start heating, get a few things ready to sprinkle into the clear enamel while it's hot. I used some Frantage flakes and glitter from Stampendous Encrusted Jewel kits. When the enamel is nice and hot (you can see it moving slightly), remove the heat tool and sprinkle a few flakes or glitter onto the tag. You can use you fingers, some tweezers, or a tiny spoon. Re heat, trying to keep the tool directly above so that the flakes don't get blown about.

Then I repeated this process but with various different embossing powders. You can concentrate different colours in one place, or go for an all over sprinkle. Sometimes you can see patterns develop in the background, and add more colour to those areas. I used Stampendous Seasonings and Aged Scarlet, Emerald Creek Baked Texture Patina Green and Rocky Road, and Andy Skinner's Funky Cold Patina.

Then I swiped the Versamark pad around the edge of the tag and edged it with more Rocky Road. I added another layer of clear chunky, then finally embossed another of Seth's mini stamps EM45 into the hot enamel, inking it first with Versamark. Always use rubber stamps for embossing into hot powder, as the clear acrylic ones will melt!

Embossing powder is a very versatile medium, and can be used in many different ways, as well as for stamping. I hope you feel inspired to have a play! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Celia  x



No comments: