Monday 11 October 2021

Woo! Halloween - by Kim


 Well, what a time to be creating my first piece for Tando Creative! Halloween!



The Gothic Arch with all its natural spookiness was an ideal place to start. I removed all the cut out panels and set them aside. To enhance its 3D-ness I staggered the layers to give it that down-in-the-dungeons look. Each layer was about 5mm higher than the one before. (My first idea was to make stones around the arch - hence the lines - they were not used)

I decided that every decent dungeon has a door, so I used one of the cutouts. To make the planks of the door I started from the centre line and measured 10mm spaces and marked pencil lines. Using the edge of a ruler I ran a small embossing stylus along the pencil line until I was happy with the line.



This was the time that I marked and cut out the coffin shaped window using a sharp craft knife - BE CAREFUL if you intend to do a window as the greyboard is tough and not easy to cut and craft knives are very sharp - this bit is not important and can be left out if you are not confident.


Next, I painted everything black and let it dry while I prepared the bits for inside.

From the Minis Halloween Mix pack I used the eyes from the pumpkins. while they were still in the frame (because they are easier to hold) I painted them with yellow then added a little Scarlet red to make them a little fierce. 

From the same pack I took the spider webs and painted them white. One I cut to fit the curve of the arch and the other was glued across the window in the door.



One of the small bats was painted black and lightly edged in white, with dotty eyes in Scarlet.


From Tando Creative Spiders Grab Bag I took the small spider, base coated in black, a little Burnt Orange over the top and some dots to make her pretty. 


 Before I glued the pieces in I painted the inside of the arches by lightly dry brushing, first Burnt Umber, then Burnt Orange.


The spooky mist is from a cotton face pad.


I then turned my attention to the outside. I needed to add a hinge to the door, this had to be done before the finishings. I used a strip of brown packing tape, but painters masking tape would work.


To hide the tape I applied Texture Sand Paste to the door frame (which is why I didn’t need the lines from earlier). This made a super, rocky surround. Make sure it is thoroughly dry before you carry on.


I re-basecoated the frame and hinge on the door with black before lightly brushing the frame texture with Burnt Umber, Burnt Orange, then very lightly with True Ochre.


I added nails to the door with Liquid Glass - these take quite a while to dry, too. But make sure they are properly cured before you continue.


I found a small key in my ephemera stash, drilled a tiny hole and glued it in. Then using True Ochre and Black Plum lightly dry brushed to texture the door, allowing the True Ochre to highlight the nails. 


I used a pumpkin from the Halloween Mix, painted in Tangerine with Scarlet stripes to finish the door.


Note: Before you glue on the door hinge, make sure the door fits the hole and opens easily because after it has been painted it might need adjusting! And don’t get bogged down with colours - whichever you have that is similar will do.)


I hope you are inspired to be spooky for Halloween!



I used these products:

Tando Creative:

    Gothic Arch

    Minis Halloween Mix

    Spiders Grab Bag


DecoArt Media:

    Texture Sand Paste

    Liquid Glass


DecoArt Colours as in the text




4 comments:

PPMSer said...

This looks brilliant!

Zoechaos said...

WOW! this is fantastic x

Unknown said...

Love it xx

Sarah Louise said...

Very clever idea, love it