Sunday 10 April 2022

Tando Wall Hanging - By Zoë Sanderson

Something I really enjoy is looking through the Tando catalog to see what kits there are, and what I'd like to have a play with.  Recently it was the Wall Hangings that caught my eye.   Here then is a look at how I mucked around with one of them. 


These kits are in 4 parts making for a 3D piece and you have the options of how to layer them up.

                                     


As I intended to use various mediums on there the first step was to Gesso them.   I only applied Gesso to the areas that will be painted and visible at the end.


The base plate was give a gesso coat on what will become the back.   The side that the layers will be built on I decided to cover with some coated paper.  I also pulled out a plastic sheet with a water like finish.  Don't ask where they came from, they have lived in a draw for the last 15 years or so.  If I see something I like and imagine using at some time I get it and then live with it until it's time comes.


Preparation complete time to start adding colour and interest.   We are so lucky and have so many mediums available to us and can achieve so many different effects with them.  For the first two layers I used Mica Powders

                                                               


Time for a little check to see how it is starting to look.   You can see now how the plastic sheet is going to look in the completed piece. 

For the top layer various acrylic paints were used.  A quick search on the internet for colourful fish had also suggested spots and stripes rather than flat single colour.


I might have got a little carried away at this point and started using Sakura Pens, White Gel Pen, Viva Gel Pen, Crackle Glaze and I'm not sure what else.  Time to start glueing everything together, where the plastic film was sandwiched between two layers I used glossy accents as the adhesive, regular glue not so good for the plastic material.


The final thing was some washi tape around the side, and a hole to push through the top where it already exists on the Tando base.


In this last picture I've tilted the completed wall hanging to try to show you the effect of the crackle paste.  There you have it another little fun to do project.

Materials used



Everything else as shown/described from my personal stash.

No comments: