Saturday 8 January 2022

Playing with Plaques - Zoë Sanderson

Today I'm going to share with you a project that was going in one direction but needed with one piece going off on a tangent.



So what happened along the way.  The original plan was to use the Plaques and the Whimsical Houses.


Having released a couple of the houses from their board it was time to start.  Usually with a project like this the first step is to gesso everything however I knew texture would be a feature making time to get the pastes and stencils out.



OK I wanted to have a play as well.  This was an opportunity for me to try the DecoArt modelling paste out for the first time.   The stencil I used is from this set of 4 and I've had lots of fun with this one especially.

The fun thing about the paste is that it dries clear!   Once the paste had dried then gesso was brushed all over.  Now it is time to start to colour them.




Something else that is a lot of fun is applying wax pastes.   I like to use a cotton makeup removing pad, they pick up the paste easily and make it easy to apply.  The best thing is to use circular movements working over the surface and building the colour up.  Repeated working also brings the shine and luster up.

For the other Plaque I used watercolour paints and then decoupaged some printed tissue over the top.



The Houses were also given a gesso base, watercolored, and then glued together.   One of the houses was also given some printed tissue additions.  Although it looks OK in this picture in real life it's not so good.  I play around with layouts for a while before finally deciding how the Whimsical House plaque would look.









Well that was one plaque but what about the other?   That third house was not working especially not on the metallic finish of the second base.  It just happened that all this took place during a 4 day crafting binge when I tried all sorts of different things.

Included in my some resin casts and clay casts using a great American mould.  The resin piece was coloured with DecoArt acrylic paints, the clay pieces didn't need any paint adding.


 As always I hope you had fun reading this and are encouraged to go out and get inky/messy yourself while having fun!  

Products Used

Tando 12 Assorted Plaques

Tando Whimsical Houses 2

Tando Set of 4 Background/Flourish stencils

DecoArt Media White Modelling Paste

DecoArt Media Metallic Lustre

DecoArt Fluid Acrylics

Other mediums from my stash.

1 comment:

Bernadette Ball said...

Love the embossing you have done :)