Friday 18 March 2022

24 Boxes of Advent - Gold - by Kim



 Here is another in our 24 Boxes of Advent series. We are using the same
large box kit as others in the series, so start by glueing it together. I usually give a coat of white gesso all over to give me a sealed surface to paint on.

Next I cracked open (!) the DecoArt Crackle Paste. On the top and sides of the outer box I smeared on the paste using a pallet knife. By varying the thickness the size of the crackle effect will also vary. To add interest, while the paste was still wet I stuck on some small random offcuts. Set aside to dry completely - overnight is good.

Next, on the front face of the inner box I carefully laid on a frame of Crackle Paste with the pallet knife. This was about 5mm wide. Set aside to dry with the outer box.

When the Crackle Paste is dry I used DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic Burnt Umber, watered 50:50, as a wash to stain the white paste and accent the crackle on both the outer box and the frame on the inner box. Allow to dry.

To really enhance the texture I used DecoArt Media Antiquing Cream Carbon Black over the crackle areas. These Antiquing Creams dry but remain workable, so I used a soft cloth to wipe it back so it remained only in the deep texture.

Crackle with Burnt Umber
Add Black antiquing


With Metallic Lustre
and gold inside

The remaining sides on the outer box were painted with DecoArt Americana Lamp Black.

The inside, outside, and framed panel of the inner box were also painted with Lamp Black. When dry I used a white colouring pencil (Faber Castell Polychromos) to add the glass baubles design to the panel. 

I found the white pencil gave a good effect, except for sufficient brightness for the highlights on the glass, but if I tried to add paint directly over the pencil it would smudge. I needed to seal the pencil work before overpainting the highlights.

I used DecoArt Media Ultra Matte Varnish thinned to 50:50 and sprayed through a mister bottle to cover the design without risking using a brush. Allow to dry.

The inside of the outer box was painted with Venetian Gold - three coats so it's nice and shiny.

Once the sealed panel is dry I used a fine liner brush to add the white highlights to the baubles, over the varnish.

But we need more gold! So, all crackle texture surfaces were treated with Metallic Lustre Champagne Ice, rubbed on with a finger to pick up the tops of the texture. Give it a light buff with kitchen paper or soft cloth.

Thanks for visiting. That's gold sorted ... just frankincense and myrrh to do.

Finished with glass bauble design


Products:
White coloured pencil


No comments: