Monday 14 March 2022

ATC box - The Ace of Spades - by Kim

 A box, playing card size, no lid, no door. What shall I do with it?

Well before we stick it together let's cut a hole in one of the big sides, a jagged, random shaped hole. I used a very sharp Xacto knife and was very careful not to damage myself.

On the other flat side I painted a dramatic starburst shape with orange and a couple of reds. 

Next, I glued the box together, using PVA, with the starburst on the inside and visible through the hole.

I pulled the Ace, King Queen, and Jack of Spades from a pack of mini playing cards from a Christmas cracker. I tore the edge around the Ace, edged it with black and stuck it inside the box. KQJ were trimmed to fit and stuck to the front of the box, as shown.

The front of the box was textured with DecoArt Modelling Paste, avoiding the KQJ, and allowed to dry thoroughly.

The outside of the box was painted black, avoiding the cards and the edge of the hole. When dry the edge of the hole was painted with the deepest red from the starburst, and the texture was dry brushed lightly with it, too.

A little Champagne Ice Metallic Lustre was rubbed lightly over the very tops of the texture.

As a little cheeky element to finish I tore the corner from the Joker card and glued it inside the front panel with the word 'Joker' on show.

A fun gift for a cardsharp, or perhaps a prize for the best poker face of the evening.

 

Products:

Tando ATC Art Box

DecoArt Media Modelling Paste

DecoArt colours, various

Champagne Ice Metallic Lustre

Mini playing cards

No comments: